Wednesday, January 01, 2014

How to Live in 2014

This morning, the first morning of a new year, comes as a relief. I am glad to see 2013 pass--it was one tough year. My mother told me her sister dreaded the odd-numbered years--they seemed to be wrought with pain and overall badness. So my greatest hope for 2014 is that is surpasses 2013 in providing some peace, some joy, and even some boredom. 

I am not a big fan of resolutions—they are so often easily broken. But I would like to start thinking of rules to live by. Though rules may be a bit strong—perhaps principles to live by. So here are seven principles I will try to abide to as this year unfurls, bringing its myriad challenges and opportunities and surprises.

1. Remember to breathe before acting or reacting.

2. My words are powerful—use them wisely.

3. Most thoughts are not true, and therefore can be discarded.

4. Every second is sacred—be grateful for each one.

5. I cannot control people or situations, only my reaction to them.

6. Fear is the absence of love.

7. The most important moment is the present one—the last moment cannot be gotten back, and the next one has not yet happened.

Yes, these principles sound very mindful, but mindfulness has gotten me over all the nasty humps and bumps of the past year relatively intact. It's a practice that takes perseverance and patience, and while I have always persistent as a mosquito on blood, I cannot claim patience as one of my virtues. So I will practice and practice and practice, and keep you posted on my progress.

How will you live this year?

Peace...

16 comments:

  1. 3 is so important to remember. Beware the gut reaction! I am trying to see my move to Fla as a grand adventure. That means that, if i wish, every time I look up where the library is, or find out who the neighbors are, I am having an adventure. I don't have to kid myself, but I do want a broad perspective that gives me a positive way of seeing my world.
    7 sounds like a 12-step program saying, but repeating something wise is no crime.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, #3 is my favorite. I envy you your adventure, and love the way you are thinking of it. It takes courage to pick up and move. And I miss you already. Peace...

      Delete
  2. I need to paste these on my forehead.

    It's good to know that it's OK to keep trying, no matter how often we might falter. I do hope 2014 is better for you, Linda. You deserve a little boredom!!!

    oxoxox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I think coming up with a neon sign might be cool... most of my successes have come from my failures. And yes, 2014 needs to rock! Happy New Year! Peace...

      Delete
  3. How will I live? I definitely want to live this way. I would say that 2012 and 2013 have both been years that have shaken my life, but I'll take an even numbered year, still, at least it's new. The one benefit from the challenges: I can appreciate the wisdom of what you're saying. I just hope I can remember it and practice. Blessings...Meg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meg, I'll help you to breathe if you'll help me! It seems the past several years have been full of challenges, and it is those that made me realize I needed to change my approach to life. I guess it's the opportunity part of crisis=opportunity. So here's to hoping for coping, and that 2014 gives you some respite. Peace...

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Hee-hee! I've 'copied' you before, so go for it! Peace, dear friend...

      Delete
  5. Are you sure fear is always the absence of love? -And, make sure you don't throw out the good thoughts. I will endeavor to fully embrace your other rules. I let a few writing projects slip by last year - determined not to let that happen this one. Peace...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I am sure. Of course, fear and love are broadly defined, and the principle applies to how we lie our lives. But I do believe every choice, every decision, comes down to deciding between fear and love. Nope, no throwing out of all good thoughts, though many of those are hopefuls rather than truths, and the hopefuls can be delusions. You're rocking the writing so far--keep it up, dear genius poet-philosopher friend! Peace...

      Delete
  6. A beautiful, lovefilled way to live life

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I hope to stick to these as much as possible. Happy New Year! Peace...

      Delete
  7. What wonderful principles. I need to remember them, and encorporate them into my life. This year, and every year.
    I hope to tread lightly this year - on an ecological front, but also on an emotional one. Do as little harm as possible, and as much as I can that is beneficial.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like this--tread lightly. Thank you for this gift. Happy New Year, friend across the pond! Peace...

      Delete
  8. I like the idea of sticking this on one's forehead. Great to read your words for the new year, Linda. Peace to you... and lots of happiness in 2014.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Peace to you, Michelle. I hope 2014 brings you health, happiness, and safe harbors. Peace...

      Delete